Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor



Do it Online

Report a problem below or register for a secure account to save yourself time and help keep a track of your requests.

Please view the online calendars for bin collection dates over the Christmas period

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

Planning & Building Control

  • Building Control Open or Close
  • Conservation Open or Close

    In North East Derbyshire there are 30 designated conservation areas. It is the quality of the architecture, visual character and historic interest of these areas that makes them special and worthy of conservation. In making the assessment of an area, many factors are considered in determining its character and quality including:

    • The historic layout of property boundaries and thoroughfares.
    • The inter-relationship of buildings and spaces.
    • The mix of building and land use.
    • The architectural quality of individual buildings either grand such as town halls, churches and stately houses or vernacular such as workers cottages, water mills and barns.
    • The composition of building groups such as terraces, shops, farm complexes, almshouses or industrial complexes (such as mills).
    • Vistas into, from, through and around the area under consideration.
    • The interaction of the natural and the built environment.
    • The age and social history of the area and its buildings.
    • The use of materials in buildings, boundaries, paths and open areas.

    All of our conservation areas and boundaries can be viewed using the Find My.. mapping feature at the top of this page.

  • Custom and self build Open or Close

     We are seeking enthusiastic individuals, families and groups who want to build their own homes.

    Custom and Self build - pro's and con's

    We have a list of suitable land to develop and a register of individuals and groups interested in building their own homes. We want to see a range of property types taking shape across the District. You may want to specialise in an eco-friendly property, look at “container” housing or consider a timber house kit. We are also encouraging projects of several properties being constructed together by local community groups. Non-traditional house building can be cheaper than traditional construction. Have a look at what best suits your pocket and your aspirations.

    There are 2 main types of construction in this concept: -   Custom and Self-Build.

    1. Custom Build— tends to be where you design your home with a specialist developer who then builds it. This can also include the developer building the “shell” up to say a watertight stage for you to then do all the internal work yourself.
    2. Self-Build—tends to be an individual or group completing a majority of the building work from the ground up, sometimes specialists are brought into complete jobs such as electrical or plastering work. 

    Cost considerations

    There are a lot of things to think about when building your own home!   The options may be intimidating at first glance, but it is actually fairly straightforward when you take all the planning and design factors into consideration.


    Self-building is an adventure dictated by your own constraints. There is no denying that there will be challenges, frustrations and a lot of excitement along the way. We have yet to hear of anybody who has regretted their decision to self-build.

    Support websites

    Most of the common issues experienced by people building their own home can be avoided by working with an experienced architectural designer and qualified construction contractor. Whatever skills you have and whichever route you follow, building your own home can be an amazing experience.

    For more information / an informal chat or to register your interest, please complete the registration document and send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Please also see our useful information fact sheet.

  • Planning Appeals & Applications Open or Close



    Please note we will be ceasing to take cheques for planning applications from 1st December 2019

    Please note that from 17 January 2018, the Government are introducing an increase of 20% on planning fees. You can read more about the statutory instrument on the Government's legislation website.


    All development must comply with approved planning policies, unless there are specific material considerations which would indicate otherwise. Publicity is given to applications in accordance with our published procedures, and all representations received are considered and taken account of in the determination process.

    Planning Applications can be submitted online through the Planning Portal.

    When an application has been made, checks are carried out to ensure that all information required to process the application has been received. If further information is required, the application will be made invalid and further information will be requested from the applicant/agent, e.g. an additional fee or additional plans.

    Most planning applications require a location plan and a site plan (also known as a block plan), to be submitted as supporting documents. You can Buy a Plan to support your application from the Planning Portal website.

    A Design and Access Statement is now required to be submitted with most Planning Applications. Further guidance on design and access statements can be found via the planning portal.

    For guidance on if you need to submit a planning application or not, please down load our Planning Application Guidance document.

    Search Planning Applications

    Details of all planning applications are held in the Online Planning System where you can find and comment on planning applications that are being considered near you. You can search for applications by property, application reference and even using a map. You can also track an application as it goes through the planning process.

    Please note: you must register with us if you want to comment online or track an application.

    All personal information provided to North East Derbyshire District Council will be held and treated in confidence in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. It will only be used for the purpose for which it was given, however if you choose to comment on a planning application your name and address will be publicly available as part of the planning process.


    If your planning application has been turned down, you can appeal to The Planning Inspectorate.

    Please see the latest Appeals Register here.

    Before you appeal against a decision, you should speak to a Planning Officer to see whether or not an amendment to your original application could resolve the issues.

    The time limits in which you need to submit your appeal to the Planning Inspectorate are as follows:

    • Householder applications - the time limit to appeal is 12 weeks from the date of the notice of the decision or determination giving rise to an appeal.
    • In other cases, appeals should be submitted to the Planning Inspectorate within six months of the date of the decision notice giving rise to the appeal.
    • Where we have failed to make a decision, an appeal against non-determination can be submitted up to six months after the expiry of the period we had for dealing with the application.

    Where an Enforcement notice has been served on the same, or substantially the same, development the time limits to appeal are:

    • 28 days from the date of the refusal or the expiry of the period which we had to determine the application, where the enforcement notice is served before the application is submitted;
    • 28 days from the date of the refusal or the expiry of the period which we had to determine the application, where the enforcement notice is served before the decision on the application is reached or the determination period has expired; or
    • 28 days from the date the enforcement notice is served, where the enforcement notice is served after the decision or expiry of the period which we had to reach a decision on the application, unless the effect would be to extend the period beyond the usual time limit for cases not involving an enforcement notice, as outlined above.

    If you have any further enquiries regarding the information above, please use the contact us details on the right of this page to get in touch.

  • Planning Enforcement Open or Close

    If you consider that someone is carrying out development which may not have had planning permission, you should contact us immediately.  Any complaints received in this way, unconnected with a particular current planning application are confidential.

    Planning permission is granted subject to conditions.  Failure to comply with conditions that are laid out in planning permissions may result in the issue of a 'Breach of Condition Notice' which requires compliance with the terms of the condition within a certain amount of time.

    If the developer still doesn't comply with the requirements of a breach of condition notice this is a criminal offence and on conviction, the developer can be fined up to £1000. There is no right of appeal against a breach of condition notice.

    Where land or buildings are not properly maintained and their appearance becomes detrimental to the area, the Local Planning Authority may issue a notice under section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended) requiring works to be carried out to address the damage to amenity. The power can range from removing rubbish from land to demolishing buildings and removing the demolition debris.

    There is a right of appeal against a notice issued under this section to the Magistrates Court. Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice constitutes a criminal offence subject on conviction to a fine not exceeding £1000, the authority is also empowered to enter land to carry out the works specified in the notice and reclaim costs from the land owner.

    For any further planning enforcement queries please contact us using the contact details on the right of this page.


    Please note, your personal information is only used to investigate alleged unauthorised breaches of planning control. Your details are kept secure and are not shared with any other party. For more information on how we use personal information please go to our privacy statement on our website here.


  • Planning Policy Open or Close

    The Planning Policy team deals with all matters concerned with the writing and interpretation of planning policies. This includes the 2001-2011 Local Plan, Draft 2011-2033 Local Plan, Supplementary Planning Documents and Other guidance, Authority Monitoring Report, Local Development Scheme, Statement of Community Involvement and Neighbourhood Planning. Self and Custom Build Housing can be found here. Please see the Local Plan pages for more information.

  • Trees and Hedgerows Open or Close


    There are 3 main ways that trees may be protected:-

    Tree Preservation Orders (TPO). These may be placed on trees which are visually important to the area, or trees which may be under threat from future development.  If you have trees on your property covered by a TPO, you must get permission to do any works to the tree, whether this is felling or pruning.

    Conservation Areas. If you are planning to fell or prune a tree in a Conservation Area you are required to give the council six weeks notice in writing of your intentions.  The council may either decide to raise no objections to your proposals or, if it wishes to retain the trees or have strict control over any pruning works, a Tree Preservation Order may be made on the trees.  If you have not heard anything within six weeks of the council receiving your notification, you may carry out the works.

    Planning Conditions may be put on the planning permission which require certain trees to be kept. It is also possible that conditions may be put on a planning permission requiring additional trees to be planted.  This may be to replace trees lost by the development, or to screen the development on the site from the surrounding area.


    Hedgerows can house some important species of wildlife and have a great impact upon biodiversity and habitat connectivity. The Regulations are intended to protect important hedges in the countryside. Anyone proposing to remove a hedge to which the Regulations apply must give the Council six weeks notice and give the reason for seeking to remove it. You must contact the Development Control team via the contacts box on the right of this page.

    High Hedges

    Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 gives local authorities powers to deal with complaints about high hedges. As long as you have made reasonable attempts to resolve your dispute, you can bring your complaint about your neighbour’s evergreen hedge to us. If you wish to make a formal complaint about a High Hedge, you should contact us to request the relevant application forms. You will need to pay a fee of £320 if you make a formal complaint. This is needed to cover the cost of the work in dealing with your complaint.

Planning & Building contacts

  • Tel: Planning: 01246 217159
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Alt. tel: Building Control 0333 880 2000
Go to top