Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor



Do it Online

Report a problem below or register for a secure account to save yourself time and help keep a track of your requests.

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.


  • Council Tenants Open or Close

    Please click here to visit the Rykneld Homes website.

  • Handyperson Service Open or Close

    The Derbyshire Handy Van Network is open to people who are 60 and over or who have been referred to us by one of our partner organisations. Our Handy Van person can visit your home to help with the following:

    • Home fire safety checks
    • Checking and fitting smoke alarms
    • Energy efficiency advice
    • Practical tasks

    The service can help with practical tasks such as:

    • Changing light bulbs
    • Removing or hanging curtains
    • Fitting blinds
    • Securing carpets and rugs
    • Fitting key safes and grab rails
    • We can also (with your permission) contact other organisations on your behalf to help you access additional services that may benefit you, for example The British Legion or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

    Unfortunately the service cannot offer an emergency service for plumbing or electrics. If you need help finding a reliable, local company to carry out work at your property Derbyshire County Council can provide details of businesses who have registered on their Trusted Trader Scheme.

    The Handy Van service is available Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, call 0203 5354999 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to request a visit. Each household will be able to access this free service twice a year.

  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Open or Close

    Please visit the main page here: Benefits and Council Tax Support


  • Rykneld Homes Open or Close

    Please click the link here to visit the Rykneld Homes website.

Housing Advice support

  • Affordable Housing Open or Close

    Share Ownership and Help to Buy Schemes

    If you cannot afford to buy a home outright you may be able to get some financial help through a shared ownership scheme or Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme.  For more information on any of these schemes contact your local Help to Buy agent, Help to Buy Midlands, through the Help to Buy website at www.helptobuymidlands.co.uk , or telephone 03458 50 20 50 select option 2, or  via email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Register Providers Partners

    Registered Providers are 'Registered Social Landlords' (not private landlords) who provide housing for rent and shared ownership in much the same way as councils do and are not-for-profit organisations. 

    To rent one of the Housing Association properties, applicants will be nominated from the Councils' waiting list via the Rykneld Homes Choice Move team.  The properties will be allocated through the banding and bidding process and will be in line with the Councils' Choice Based Lettings and Allocations Policy.  

    For more information about each Housing Association visit their website by clicking the links below:

    Housing 21 Guiness Northern Counties
    Equity Housing Group South Yorkshire Housing Association
    Metropolitan ASRA Group 
    East Midlands Housing  Derwent Living
    Peak District Rural Housing Waterloo Housing Group



  • Basic Bank Accounts Open or Close


    Basic bank accounts


    Basic bank accounts are aimed at giving everyone access to banking facilities.  They are a basic, no frills account and are available from all major banks.


    If you don’t currently have a bank account or, if you are not able to get a standard current account, you should look into basic bank accounts as an option.  For further information please view the attached PDF and visit the Money Advice Service website.




    Mortgage Difficulties


    Anyone can get into mortgage difficulties, and it can happen for many reasons, for example:


    •          Unemployment
    •          Illness
    •          An increase in mortgage rates
    •          Family breakdown/Separation
    •          The arrival of a new baby
    •          The loss of overtime - and several others. 

    If you start to get into mortgage arrears do not panic; but do recognise that it will not just go away, and you need to take action as soon as possible by contacting the lender, Citizens Advice Bureau or the Law Centre.If you live in the District of North East Derbyshire and have a problem paying your mortgage and you want to talk to someone about how to prevent losing your home, you can Contact the Housing Options team or the following organisations; 

    NE Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau  telephone 0300 4568437   

    Derbyshire Law Centre  telephone: 01246 550674 or Freephone 0800 7076990   

    Don't get bitten by a loan shark!

    Loan sharks are illegal moneylenders. If you have financial problems do not borrow from a loan shark.You can get free financial advice in confidence from North Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau and Derbyshire Law Centre.  They can help you re-organise your debts and contact your creditors to make reasonable offers that you can afford.

    For more information visit the Stop Loan Sharks website www.stoploansharks.co.uk  or to report a loan shark you can telephone: 0300 555 2222.

    Alternatively you can contact your local Public Protection Project Team, telephone: 01332 644 000.

    These agencies will help you for free and will be in strict confidence.

    Loan sharks will take your money over and over again!




  • Domestic Violence Open or Close

    Stop Domestic Abuse in North East Derbyshire

    If you are experiencing domestic violence or sexual abuse and need support, advice or access to refuges, contact the Derbyshire Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse Service, for men and women. 

    What is Violence or Abuse?

    It is about power, and this can be about controlling a partner by either physical or emotional abuse. It is rarely a one-off event. There are also many different forms of abuse, and physical attack is only one of them. Perhaps most of us think of a black eye or broken arm, but sex can be used as a way of dominating a partner, so can ridicule, control of family finances, and shouting and screaming.

    If you, or you know of someone who is being abused, don’t hesitate to get help and protection now, please contact the Housing Options Team for further information, help and advice.

    Other Useful Contact Details

    Derbyshire County Council  - Out of hours service 0845 6058058

    Emergency Accommodation - Call Derbyshire  - 01629 532600 or 0845 6058058

    Rights of Women (Legal Helpline) Tel: 020 72516577

    Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

    Derbyshire County Council - Domestic / Adult Violence link

    Women's Aid Federation England - For useful resources including 'making a safety plan' email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


  • Homelessness Open or Close

    From October 2018 selected authorities must refer people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to local authorities.  

    Homeless referrals (Duty to refer)

    The North Derbyshire Homeless Pathway has been introduced for single people from the age of 18yrs who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. All referrals for single homeless people from the Bolsover, Chesterfield and North East Derbyshire areas will be made via the new single point of access that has been developed in partnership with local services and organisations to offer tailored holistic and connected support for single people.

    Clients can access support for the following:

    • Support to look at housing options
    • Support with basic provisions
    • Benefits advice
    • Support with general health and mental health via specialist nurses
    • Support to access funding for deposits, rent in advance
    • Tenancy support
    • Outreach service to engage clients who struggle to access services
    • Group activities

    The new pathway strengthens our commitment to support those agencies and organisations with or without a duty to refer people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to local authorities.

    To find out how to make a referral for Single people click here. To refer Families click here

    The Government have issued guidance on the Duty to Refer and this can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/homelessness-duty-to-refer

    If you are homeless now, or are threatened with being made homeless within the next 56 days please contact the Housing Options team for advice as soon as possible on 01246 231111 or complete the online enquiry form.

    They may also be able to help with problems such as  harassment and illegal eviction or domestic violence  and can put you in touch with other agencies that offer support and advice.

    The legislation around homelessness has changed with the introduction of the Homelessness Reduction Act (HRA 2017) from April 2018. For more information on the new changes please read the Homeless how can we help guide.

    Guidance explaining the new homelessness legislation changes can be found in fact sheets produced by the Government and in further detail in the new Homelessness Code of Guidance which sets out what Local Authorities in England must follow to deliver the required homelessness services.

    Fact sheet

    Code of guidance 

    We have a Deposit Guarantee Scheme for those who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to help finance a new rental property. For more information on Landlord deposit scheme click here and New application deposit scheme click here.  If you need more information please contact  Jo Richardson at the Housing Options team on 01246 231111

    We have a number of dedicated information leaflets available for people to access. Each leaflet has a range of contact information for support services and agencies that can help you if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Each leaflet also gives advice on how the council can help you.

    Care leavers and former care leavers

    Homeless or threatened with homelessness after leaving Hospital

    Advice for forces and ex forces personnel

    Homeless when released from prison

    What is Domestic Abuse leaflet

    Suffering with a mental illness

    If you are worried about paying your rent or mortgage the Derbyshire Law Centre and Shelter can provide advice to help prevent problems getting out of hand.

    You can contact Derbyshire Law Centre:

    You can contact Shelter on:

    The Housing Options team can also help people who are sleeping rough in NE Derbyshire during the freezing weather.

    Under normal circumstances the council has to assess if a person is deemed to be homeless under set criteria – but this is suspended when temperatures fall below zero for three consecutive nights and the council can offer emergency shelter, for help telephone 01246 231111 or contact the Out of Hours Service if the Council is closed.

    For more information on sleeping rough please visit the Streetlink website. 

    Out Of Hours Service 

    Call Derbyshire is the "Out of Hours" service for homeless households in Derbyshire, if you require assistance when the Council is closed you can contact this team on:

    0845 6058058 or 01629 532600

    Council Properties

    If you rent a council property and are having difficulties paying your rent, please contact Rykneld Homes in the first instance.

  • Local Authority Mortgage Scheme (LAMS) Open or Close

    The scheme is aimed at first time buyers only who can afford mortgage payments but not the initial deposit.

    The Local Authority can provide a mortgage deposit bond guarantee. A top-up indemnity to the value of the difference between a lower loan-to-value (LTV) mortgage (i.e. 75% - requiring a 25% deposit) and a 95% LTV mortgage. The potential buyer will thereby obtain a 95% mortgage on similar terms as a 75% mortgage, but without the need to provide the substantial deposit usually required.

    In addition to meeting the mortgage application criteria required by Leek United Building Society, applicants must also comply with the Authority's local criteria:

    • Maximum property value in North East Derbyshire District Council area of £175,000 and in Bolsover District Council area of £150,000.
    • Property must be located within North East Derbyshire district Bolsover district.

    Further information or enquiries please see the Leek United Building Society website. Or alternatively customers can call into their local Leek United branch or call the Society at the Head Office on 01538 380047 or at the Derby Branch on 01332 344708. Please see the attached factsheet for additional information.

  • Moving On Support Open or Close

    Rocket Fuel - Top Tips for Moving On, which the PDF version is available to download, is a guide for people in supported accommodation moving to longer term or permanent homes.  It provides useful information and tips for moving-on.

    If you are currently living in supported accommodation then you may be eligible to access accommodation under the Move-on Protocol.  Ask your support worker for more details.  You and your support worker will first need to complete a MOP form, and then a R2M form when you are ready to move-on to your own accommodation. 

  • Neighbour Nuisance Open or Close

    Most people are able to get on with their neighbours and rarely have any problems. Other people are not so lucky and in the worst cases their lives can be made a misery. 

    We want you to be able to live peacefully in your home and community, and we will try to help you when there are problems.

    Please download our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

  • Out of Hours Service Open or Close

    If you are homeless or need emergency housing and the Council is closed then contact Call Derbyshire which is the "Out of Hours" service for homeless households in Derbyshire. 

    The team will be available between 5pm and 9am Monday to Friday and 24 hours per day during weekends and bank holidays. 

    Call Derbyshire contact details; telephone 0845 6058058 or 01629 532600  

    Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Private Housing Open or Close

    Renting a home from a private landlord or agent is a good housing solution and very flexible.  Often this is the first accommodation people live in once they leave home. 

    The private rented market is very varied and the standard of accommodation and management can also differ greatly. We can give you guidance on the legal standards for private rented housing, advice on how to go about letting or renting a property and what to do if you have problems. We have a range of powers that can be used to ensure properties are safe and well managed and tenants are free from harassment and nuisance.

    We can offer advice and guidance for people who are or are thinking about becoming private tenants, download the Private Renting for Tenants PDF for further guidance.


    Disabled Facilities Grant

    What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

    If you or a person living with you is disabled, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to adapt your property to enable the disabled person to live as independently as possible.

    Who can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

    Owner- occupiers, landlords and a wide range of tenants can apply for a DFG. You can apply if you are the disabled person, the landlord of a disabled person, or someone living with a disabled person.

    Private sector tenants require consent from their landlord prior to any works being carried out.

    If you are a tenant of Rykneld Homes, please see the following link. https://www.rykneldhomes.org.uk/your-home/living-independently/adaptations/

    Do I qualify for a grant?

    The disabled person will need to have an assessment by occupational health at Derbyshire County Council, who will advise us what works are considered necessary and appropriate for your or their needs. If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs.

    If Derbyshire County Council decide that adaptations are required, they will then forward recommendations to us and we will make sure that the works are reasonable and practical for your home.

    What adaptations can be carried out?

    Typical work may include-

    • Providing adequate wash facilities e.g. replacing a bath with a level access shower
    • Adapting heating and lighting controls, e.g. by placing them at wheelchair height
    • Facilitating access into the home or within it to the bathroom or bedroom, e.g. by a stair lift

    How is the grant calculated?

    Applicants must be financially means tested to assess whether you are required to make a contribution towards the works. Any contribution depends on your household income and household savings over £6,000. Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.

    The maximum grant payable is £30,000.

    There are conditions to the grant which means that the amount of grant may be reclaimed if the property changes hands within the 10 year condition period. Any repayment will be limited to amounts that exceed £5000, but will not exceed a repayment of £10,000


    How do I apply?

    If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs. If an adaptation is determined as necessary, your case will be referred to the District Council and we will contact you to progress your application.

    If you wish to discuss this in more detail, please contact the Technical Support Team in Environmental Health on 01246 217873


    Harassment and Illegal Eviction

    Our Housing Options team assist people who are threatened with harassment and eviction and can offer advice on illegal eviction and private tenancies.Harassment and illegal eviction of tenants is a criminal offence, prosecuted by local authorities and the only way a tenant can be made to leave their property is via a court order. A person found guilty of harassment or illegal eviction faces a maximum fine of 5,000 pounds or up to 6 months in prison. They will also have a criminal record. Tenants can also take civil action and may win thousands of pounds in compensation

    If you are suffering harassment or illegal eviction, you should ring the Housing Options team on the contact details below or visit our offices at Wingerworth preferably by appointment. If urgent problems arise outside office hours ring the police - tel: 01246 220100.

    DASH Landlord Accreditation 

    The Council invites landlords to join the DASH Landlord Accreditation Scheme.

    The Council has worked in partnership with DASH (Decent and safe Homes) Services since 2005 and the landlord accreditation (formally known as EMLAS) is a region-wide scheme that encourages and rewards good property standards and management practice in the private rented sector.

    Membership normally costs £99 however Landlords in North East Derbyshire are able to join FREE of charge and membership will last 3 years.

    To join see the attached DASH leaflet for further guidance and complete the online application form. For further advice on private renting, tenants and landlords visit the websites below; 

    ARLA website Counselling Directory Shelter Decent and Safe Homes (DASH)


    Call B4 You serve - Help and advice for Landlords who may experiencing difficulties with tenants, who have had a breakdown in communication or thinnking about serving an eviction notice. Free advice on how to proceed.

     Housing Health and Safety Rating System - HHSRS

    The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is used to assess potential risks to the health and safety of occupants in residential properties.The assessment method focuses on the hazards that are most likely to be present in housing, tackling these hazards will make homes healthier and safer to live in.

    Full information on HHSRS can be found on the Decent and Safe Homes (DASH) website. The Government has also issued guidance on HHSRS for landlords and other property related professionals.

    HMOs - Houses in Multiple Occupation

    A domestic property is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) if the following applies:

     Your home is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) if both of the following apply:

    • at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
    • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants 

    Your home is a large HMO if all of the following apply:

    • it’s at least 3 storeys high
    • at least 5 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
    • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

    The Governments website has the full definition and regulations for HMO’s. If you wish to apply for a HMO licence or require further information please contact us.
    We are alerting local landlords who manage houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) to important forthcoming HMO property licensing changes.


    From 1st October 2018 all Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s) with 5 or more occupiers living as 2 or more households, must have a HMO Licence from their local authority. Where a HMO is occupied by less than 5 people, it will not require a licence.

    The Government have introduced this change to widen out the scope from the previous HMO licensing regime, which only applied to HMO properties of three storeys or above. 

    When assessing a licence application, the Council will consider the suitability and condition of the building for the number of proposed occupiers, as well as the suitability of the proposed licence holder.  Applicants will need to demonstrate that fire safety arrangements are in place and adequate, and that the building has sufficient space and amenities. A list of required documents (such as current gas safety certificate and electrical installation condition report) will also need to be supplied for the application to be a valid one.

    Landlords of relevant HMO properties must ensure that they submit an application for an HMO licence to the Council.  Applications can be made by contacting the Joint Environmental Health Service for an application form. Guidance on making an application is also available on the Council’s website. There is an initial application fee of £496 with a further fee when the licence is granted of £111 making a total HMO licence fee of £607 (we are under a legal obligation to split the fee). The HMO licence will last for up to 5 years.

    There are significant financial penalties for landlords should applications not be made and if they continue to operate the HMO after 1st October 2018. If landlords do not have a licence, or breach HMO licence conditions, they are committing a criminal offence.

    Landlords of properties who are already licensed under the previous HMO licensing scheme do not need to re-apply until their current HMO licence is close to expiry.

    For further information please contact Joint Environmental Health Service on 01246 217877.


    Park homes, mobile homes and caravans

    Caravan sites may be residential, holiday or touring sites and if you use land as a caravan site you will almost always need to get planning permission and a site licence from us. For further information click here for the attached PDF.

    Gypsies and Travellers

    Everyone has rights, including Gypsies, Travellers and people on whose land unauthorised camping takes place. Gypsies and Travellers are protected from discrimination by the Race Relations Act 1976, together with all ethnic groups who have a particular culture, language and values, including white and black people.

    We will deal with calls about illegal camping on council property and work with other agencies to try and balance the rights of all of those involved by following the Derbyshire Inter-Agency Guidance on dealing with illegal encampments. A copy of the guidance is attached. For a quick guide see the questions and answers PDF attached.

    Useful Contacts:

    Telephone Numbers Website Links
    Derbyshire County Council: 01629-580000 extension 7384 Friends, Families & Travellers
    Derbyshire County Council Traveller Liason Officer 01629 538466

    Derbyshire Gypsy Liason Group

     Derbyshire Police: 101 - non-emergency number

    Department for Communities and Local Government


Housing strategy

  • Choice Based Lettings Open or Close

     The Choice Based Lettings (CBL) and Allocation Policy review has been completed and was implemented from 1 April 2018. The key changes which have been identified are detailed in the Summary of Key Changes document.

    Our Choice Based Lettings Allocations Policy details how our Arms Length Management Organisation (ALMO), Rykneld Homes, will allocate our housing stock. This policy applies to both new applicants and Council tenants who wish to transfer to another property (restrictions may apply). The policy covers key areas such as: how people apply to join the housing register, the system of advertising, how to 'bid' for properties and how properties are allocated to successful applicants. More information is available on Rykneld Homes Limited website.



  • Disabled People Housing Needs Open or Close

     The Disabled People’s Housing Needs Study examines the housing needs of people with physical disabilities in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. It was undertaken by Ecorys and Consult CIH on behalf of fifteen local authorities. The aims of the study are:  

    • To better understand how to meet the housing needs of people with physical disabilities.
    • To better understand the means by which appropriate housing for disabled people can be delivered.
    • To obtain a good evidence base for the development of housing for disabled people. 

    The focus of the research is on the physical structure and facilities rather than support and care issues. 

    Key Findings for North East Derbyshire

    • The study estimates that there are 132 households with wheelchair users whose needs will not be met as of 2013. This figure will increase to 150 by 2033.
    • Demand is highest for two-bedroomed properties (bungalows or ground floor flats, in a mix of tenures). 

    • 24% expect to be able to afford to buy their next home, while 67% expected to find it in the social rented sector.

    • The main barriers which would prevent people from moving are having to move away from family and friends, concerns about the upheaval of moving and the lack of or un-affordability of a suitable home. 

    Based on the study we will incorporate the following:

    • We will work with customers to make sure we know what housing they need and where
    • Work with developers, Arms Length Management Organisations (ALMOs) and Housing providers to help them deliver more wheelchair and mobility housing in inclusive new developments & regeneration schemes
    • Improve the design specification and make it future-proof  and flexible
    • Deliver a better choice of housing across tenures
    • Look at the issues disabled people find in private rented housing
    • Improve access to information about the housing choices available, help people plan ahead and look at a ‘one stop shop‘ approach
    • Help providers and agencies work in a more joined up, person-centred way, looking at life cycle needs

     The North East Derbyshire's report and Executive Summary are attached.   Also attached is the complete report for Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire along with all the appendices.

  • Homelessness Strategy Open or Close

    Following the publication of the Governments Rough Sleeping Strategy we are updating our own homelessness strategy. We will be consulting with key partners, agencies and organisations throughout September and October 2019 and the updated strategy will go live in December. In addition to an updated action plan the strategy will be given the new name of “Homelessness & Rough Sleeping Strategy”.     

    If you would like to know more about our work in this area please contact Lee Pepper (Housing Options Manager ) on Tel 01246 217625. The Goverments rough sleeping strategy is available to view. 

    If you wish to discuss the Joint Strategy please contact 01246 231111 and ask for the Housing Options Manager or if you require housing advice please see our Housing Advice pages which will provide further information. 




  • Housing and Economic Development Strategy Open or Close

     Housing and Economic Development Strategy 2015 - 2020

    The council has previously had separate strategies for Economic Development and Housing but has decided to deliver a joint Strategy in recognition of the council's key priority to deliver growth in the district as part of its recently launched Growth Strategy.  

    The joint Housing and Economic Development strategy recognises that new jobs, new businesses and new housing are essential elements in creating an economically vibrant place where all people want to live and work. The proposed 8 objectives outlined in the strategy have been identified to tackle the challenges and opportunities facing the district over the next 5 years.

    The eight objectives are:

    • Supporting Enterprise - Maintaining and Growing the Business Base;
    • Maximising Employment, Skills and Training Opportunities;
    • Unlocking the Potential of Major Employment and Housing Sites;
    • Realise the Vitality and Viability of Town Centres;
    • Supporting the Rural Economy, including Tourism;
    • Maximise Affordable Housing to Rent and Buy Through New Build and Making Best Use of Existing Stock;
    • Enable People to Live in and Sustain Healthy Homes;
    • Prevent and Reduce Homelessness.

    If you would like to discuss the Strategy in more detail, please contact the Housing Strategy or Economic Development Team. 
    Housing and Economic Development Summary

  • Housing Market Area Open or Close

    What is the Housing Market Area

    In 2005, a report for the East Midlands Regional Assembly and the Regional Housing Board identified North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield, Bolsover and Bassetlaw as a Housing Market Area (ND&B HMA). It was recognised that these four authorities face many similar issues and are joined by the common factor that their housing markets are all influenced by the major urban areas of Sheffield and Rotherham, located across the regional border.

    The Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA)

    The North Derbyshire and Bassetlaw SHMA has been prepared by GL Hearn Limited and it considers future housing need in the HMA over the period to 2031. 

    It considers how many homes and what type are needed, both market and affordable, as well as what housing is required to meet the needs of specific groups within the population including older people and those with disabilities.

    The Sensitivity Testing Report provides a sensitivity analysis of the projections prepared in the Strategic Housing Market Assessment considering alternative scenarios for household formation. It also considers the most recent evidence regarding migration trends to test if the underlying population projections on which household growth is projected remain sound; and it considers the projections for employment growth understanding past trends and likely future prospects for economic activity and employment rates.

    The reports are attached in PDF format.  

    SHMA Report

    SHMAA Sensitivity Report

  • Housing Needs Survey Open or Close

    We have carried out a series of Housing Needs Surveys in partnership with Chesterfield Borough Council, Bassetlaw District Council and Bolsover District Council. 

    This research was undertaken to build on the current information held by the Authorities and to identify specific housing needs and aspirations of people within these particular groups.  The information collected is used to develop appropriate housing strategies and ensure that the needs of people with chaotic lifestyles are accounted for during strategic planning.

    Click on the links below to see the Housing Needs surveys.

    Housing Needs Study of Older People

    Housing Needs Study for the Black and Minority Ethnic

    Housing Needs Study of Young People

    Housing Needs Study of those with Chaotic Lifestyles - Complex Needs

  • Long Term Housing Regeneration Strategy Open or Close

     We are working in partnership with Rykneld Homes to carry out the regeneration of Council housing throughout the district to ensure we provide quality, sustainable homes which are fit for generations to come.

    For further information please click here to visit the Rykneld Homes website .

  • Older People's Housing Open or Close


    We have a number of 1 and 2 bed-roomed bungalows, ground floor flats and Sheltered Schemes throughout the district, all managed by Rykneld Homes. The benefit of these properties are that they are all connected to the Independent Living Service which supports vulnerable residents aged 55 and over.

    Please contact Rykneld Homes for further information or if you wish to apply for this type of accommodation.

    Extra Care Housing

    Extra Care schemes provide accommodation for older people aged 55 years and over who may wish to live independently but need extra care and support.  While some people will need the extra care services only occasionally, other residents may need to have 24-hour care available.  It is expected that people will have been assessed by Social Care and are in receipt of a care package.

     The district has two Extra Care schemes, both having all 2 bed-roomed apartments with a range of communal facilities.  Most of the apartments are for rent, however a small number are available to buy.

     The links to the Registered Provider websites are below which gives more information on each of the schemes.    

     Stonelow Court, Dronfield

     Smithybrook View, Clay Cross

    To Rent any of the Extra Care Apartments at Stonelow Court and Smithybrook View Contact ChoiceMove by telephone; 01246 217650 or their Contact Centre; 01246 217670, by email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or via their website www.choicemove.org.uk 

     Allocating the Apartments

     The lettings of all the apartments will be allocated by an allocations panel made up of various agencies. The allocations panel will make an offer of accommodation based on the level of care and housing need. 

  • Tenancy Strategy Open or Close

     Every Local Housing Authority was required under The Localism Act 2011 to have a tenancy strategy in place by January 2013.

    Through the adoption of the Localism Act the Government introduced a range of new tenure options, including fixed term flexible tenancies and also a new power enabling local authorities to discharge their statutory homelessness duty into the private rented sector. 

    Tenancy Strategies are designed to provide a framework and guidance on policies relating to tenure options, succession, allocations and how registered providers should use the changes when granting tenancies in local authority areas. Registered providers of affordable homes are required to have due regard to the tenancy strategies of the local authority areas in which they operate.

    The Council’s Tenancy Strategy was adopted in 2013 and was revised in 2016 in line with the amendments to the Choice Based Lettings and Allocations Policy.

  • Younger People's Housing Open or Close


    If you are Homelessness please contact the Housing Options Team now; telephone 01246 23111 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   

Housing contacts

  • Tel: 01246 231111
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Alt. tel: Empty Properties Officer 01246 217834

Housing Strategy

  • Tel: 01246 231111
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Go to top