Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor



Do it Online

Report a problem below or register for a secure account to save yourself time and help keep a track of your requests.

Please view the online calendars for bin collection dates over the Christmas period

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.


  • Abandoned Vehicles Open or Close

    Abandoned vehicle reports are increasing. If you abandon a vehicle you could receive a fixed penalty of £200 or face prosecution. Remember, unless your car is a complete wreck, it might still be worth something, so you should consider scrapping it or donate it to charity.

    To report an abandoned vehicle, visit our Do it Online pages. Please ensure you do not report a vehicle that is not abandoned as it takes up valuable time to investigate.

    Where a vehicle's causing an obstruction, or is dangerously parked, you should call the police on 101. 

    If it is in relation to a parking offence then you should report it to Derbyshire District Council.

    To report a vehicle that is untaxed or uninsured, please contact the DVLA.

    There is strict criteria that a vehicle must meet in order for us to consider it as abandoned. If a vehicle meets the criteria and does appear to be abandoned we will work with the DVLA to identify the owner. We may serve a notice giving the owner between 24 hours and 7 days to remove it (depending on the condition of the vehicle). If a vehicle is assessed as being in a dangerous condition i.e burnt out or a wreck, it will be removed immediately.”

  • Cemeteries Open or Close

    We manage and maintain four cemeteries at:

    There are other cemeteries and open churchyards in the District, which are managed by the Parish Council or local church. 

    Cemetery records

    We can provide photocopies or scanned copies the records on request, for a fee - contact us for details.  

    Maintaining our cemeteries

    Unfortunately ground settlement is unavoidable; we will monitor graves for 6-12 months after the funeral to ensure that soil levels are maintained. After settlement we will prepare the soil surface and sow grass seed over the area, in keeping with the surrounding cemetery grounds, and will keep our cemeteries up to the highest standard possible. This will include:

    • Mowing grassed areas
    • Maintaining boundary hedges and fences
    • Maintaining floral gardens of remembrance 
    • Maintaining levels of the grave plots to harmonise with the surrounding grassed areas
    • Keeping the cemetery clean and tidy
    • Maintaining trees and shrubs (excluding unauthorised plantings)
    • Removing spent floral tributes
    • Removing Christmas wreaths (these will be removed in late February to early March prior to the onset of grass cutting operations)
    • Safety inspections of memorials
    • Maintaining accurate records of interments 

    We are currently carrying out inspections to memorials in the district's cemeteries, to ensure the grounds are safe for visitors and council employees.


    Memorials must be approved in advance by us, and installed by a memorial mason from our approved list and in accordance with National Association of Memorial Masons (NAMM) Code of Working Practice. 

    Because of unavoidable ground settlement, we advise that headstones are not placed for at least 6 months after a burial has taken place; this will allow for thorough settlement and reduce movement of the headstone.

    Application to fix a memorial Cemetery Rules
    Burial Ground Memorials Safety
    Danesmoor cemetery monument fees 2019-20  Memorial Application Form
    Danesmoor fees Interment NEDDC 2019-20
    Memorial Safety Guidance Cemetery Rules



  • Dead Animals Open or Close

    You can report a dead animal using the Do it Online button on this page.

    Our street cleansing team will collect dead animals from the highways and footpaths throughout the District. All livestock carcases must be disposed of at Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) approved premises.

  • Dog Fouling Open or Close
    You can report dog fouling to us by using the Do it Online form found here.
    Dog fouling is a major problem, and one we are actively targeting to reduce. Please report any dog fouling incidents via the link here.

    If you are a dog owner, some of the responsibilities you should adhere to are:
    • Carry a means to clear up mess after your dog. Poop bags are available free from Council Offices.
    • Dispose of the waste correctly. 
    • Never let your dog out in public on its own.
    If you’re dog is picked up by our Dog Warden you will have to pay to get your dog back. If you are caught letting your dog foul without clearing it up you may face a fixed penalty notice of £50 or a court fine up to £1,000.
    Please report incidents of dog fouling via our ‘Do it Online’ service, where you will be treated in confidence. Please provide as many details as you can to help our enforcement staff convict the offenders.
  • Drains and Sewers Open or Close

    From October 2011, the water and sewerage companies (see below) became responsible for the private sewers and lateral drains. There are some exceptions, so it's best to check with your water company if you are at all unsure.

    In much of North East Derbyshire the company responsible for the public sewers is Yorkshire Water, but to the south of Clay Cross they are the responsibility of Severn Trent Water. Their websites show diagrams and explanations of who is responsible for different parts of the sewer system.

    The grates that you see at the kerbside are gullies and are used to take surface water off the roads. We are responsible for clearing the gullies to avoid flooding.

    Rented Properties

    The landlord or owner of the property is responsible for private drains and sewers that serve it. Rykneld homes tenants can find out more details on the Rykneld Homes website.

  • Enforcement Policy Open or Close


    North East Derbyshire District Council is responsible for ensuring that a wide range of legislation is being properly complied with, by businesses and individuals. This is to protect the rights and safety of the Districts residents, workers, visitors and the local environment.

    The Councils takes a positive, proactive and balanced approach to ensure compliance. This policy helps to promote an efficient and effective approach to regulatory enforcement to ensure that we act in a consistent and fair manner.

    The policy sets out the approach to be followed by authorised officers when making decisions in respect of compliance and enforcement activities. It sets out the levels of enforcement action available to the Councils, how we will determine which action is appropriate in the event of non-compliance and how we will conduct our investigations.

    This is an overarching policy which covers the whole of the Councils enforcement activities. Individual service areas are required to follow a range of legislation and regulations when considering enforcement activity and as such, many of these areas have specific enforcement policies which are reviewed regularly.

    These policies are available be accessing the links below: 

    Enforcement Policy (Joint Environmental Health Service)

    Joint Fly Tipping Policy

    Statement of Licensing Policy (Licensing Act 2003) 

    Statement of Licensing Principles (Gambling Act 2005) 

    Taxi Licensing Policy (Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 etc. 

    NEDDC Scrap Metal (Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013)

    NEDDC Sex Establishments (Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992

    Local Enforcement Plan (Planning) October 2018 – out for consultation will be effective from Jan 2019


  • Fixed Penalty Notices Open or Close


     A fixed penalty notice is a fine and an opportunity for an offence not to be taken further to court.

    If one of our authorised officers believes you have committed an offence then they could prosecute you for the offence. However, a fixed penalty fine will usually be issued instead unless you have received one previously.

    A fixed penalty fine is a method of allowing the person who has committed an offence the opportunity to discharge any liability to conviction for that offence. On payment of the fixed penalty fine, we cannot prosecute you for the offence but if payment is not received then we will prosecute you for the original offence.

    How to pay

    Please quote the red FPN reference number at the bottom of the notice to ensure your payment is processed quickly.

    You can pay by cash cheque or debit card at any of the council offices, by telephone: 01246242424 to pay using a debit card or by post. Cheques can be made payable to Bolsover District Council with your name and address on the back. Please include the notice with the payment.

    For more detailed information on Fixed penalty notices see our FAQ's here. We provide quarterly stats on the FPN's issued. 

    October - December 2018
    July - September 2018
  • Food Hygiene Open or Close
    All food businesses are subject to routine food hygiene inspections from our officers; visits to premises are usually carried out without prior notice. The frequency of inspections is decided by a risk analysis, so that those premises that present the greatest risk are inspected most frequently.
    During an inspection, officers will want to ensure that potential food safety risks have been identified by the business, and that there are adequate controls in place to prevent any future problems. The officers will inspect records and may take photographs and samples.  They will make sure that managers and food handlers are properly trained and will check that the condition of the premises and equipment is satisfactory.
    Where conditions are not satisfactory, every attempt will be made to resolve the situation, but where poor conditions exist or where there is a risk to public health it may be necessary to resort to formal action.
    General information on food hygiene and safety can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.
  • Grass Cutting Open or Close

    A clean, green and safe environment is a top priority for us. We manage and maintain a number of the District's parks, recreation grounds, closed cemeteries and green open areas. This can also be carried out in partnership with local Parish Councils and under agency arrangements with Derbyshire County Council.


    Different types of open space require different levels of maintenance, so the frequency varies according to the location.
    In areas such as closed cemeteries, public open spaces, play areas and grass verges you can expect the grass to be cut on average every two weeks between March and October, dependent on weather conditions. On vacant open area sites we will cut the grass at least once a month from March to October, again dependent on weather conditions.


    Road safety is our main concern and at places where visibility is important we cut accordingly. Verges are cut on average twice every month between March and October.
    We are also aware of our responsibilities towards increasing biodiversity, so we cut in a way that allows animals and wild flowers to enjoy their natural habitat, while still making sure safety is a priority.

    Assisted Gardening

    If you are a Council tenant and are not physically capable of maintaining your own garden and have no family in the area you may be able to get assistance from us. Assisted Garden Maintenance is only awarded to Rykneld Homes / Council tenants who don't have any friends or family within North East Derbyshire who can tend to their garden and who meet one of the following criteria:

    • Have a terminal illness and live on your own;
    • Are older than 80 years of age and live on your own;
    • Have a severe physical impairment;
    • Have a severe sensory impairment;
    • Are supported by a carer from a recognised agency.

    Each case is determined on its own merits and it may be necessary for us to visit to assess your application.

    The service includes the Council carrying out the following: 

    • Cut your grass 12 times a year between mid-March to mid-October;
    • Cut boundary hedges once during the Autumn/Winter period;
    • Treat vegetation along grass boundaries before the grass cutting season.

    Council tenants can apply for the service by completing the application form, with as much information as possible to help us assess the application, enclosing relevant copies of any supporting evidence and returning the completed application to the address on the form.  If you need any help filling the form out or require any further information, please contact the Grounds Maintenance team.  To request assistance filling out the form, or to request a copy of the form to be posted to you, you can fill in a general enquiry form via our ‘Contact Us’ button.

    Council tenants who are not entitled to receive a free assisted gardening service can receive the service if they pay the service charge, or make their own maintenance arrangements. 

    Tree Pruning and Hedge Cutting

    We undertake a programme of cutting, pruning and conservation to maintain our trees, hedges and other aspects of the natural landscape. We trim hedges bordering the highway at least once a year, as well as the hedges of infirm Council tenants on the Assisted Garden Maintenance Service. Trees will be examined regularly and maintenance work carried out as necessary. Health and safety of the public is a priority and also that of the natural environment.

    If you wish to carry out work to a tree on your own property, or wish to carry out work to a tree which overhangs your boundary under common law right, you are advised to check if the tree is covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or is in a conservation area.  If the tree is covered by a TPO or is in a conservation area you must contact Planning before you do any work. Applications for work on trees in conservation areas usually take up to six weeks of receiving the application. Applications for work on trees covered by a TPO will be dealt within eight weeks of receiving the application. 

    Our team of gardening experts provide a full range of services to keep your garden looking at its best. Please get in touch so that we can provide a quote to look after your garden, whether it is privately owned or rented.

    We offer:

    • Hedge trimming
    • Grass cutting
    • Tree pruning and felling works
    • Shrub and border maintenance

    All work is undertaken to a professional standard so you can rely on us to look after your garden. You can request to be put on our assisted garden list by filling in a general enquiry form using the ‘Do it Online’ button.

  • Noise Nuisance Open or Close
    The most common enquiries are about disturbance from neighbours, such as loud music and televisions, barking dogs, vehicle repairs and DIY noise. Other problems include burglar and car alarms, building site noise, noise made by businesses, licensed premises and noise in the street. For us to take action we need to be sure that the problem is a 'statutory noise nuisance'.

    Upon receiving a complaint we will require you to keep records of the noise nuisance. This may be used as evidence in a Magistrates Court at a later date. After submitting these records, our officers will undertake an investigation using a range of equipment including sound level meters and digital recordings.

    Where a nuisance is found to exist, or is likely to occur or re-occur legal action may be taken against the person responsible to abate and prevent its recurrence.
    Barking Dogs
    Barking Dogs are commonly complained about. But many dogs like to bark! It's a totally natural thing for them to do and in most cases it doesn't cause any problems. However, sometimes a dog may bark a lot, disturbing neighbours, keeping you awake at night or frightening visitors to your home. A barking dog is lonely, bored or unhappy. If you have to leave your dog, make sure it has had enough exercise. If necessary leave the radio on to keep it company and get a neighbour to look in. You can report an issue about a dog barking using our 'Do it Online’ button.

    Burglar Alarms
    Can be reported via our ‘Do it Online’ button.
    Commercial Noise
    If you are disturbed by such a noise or odour, and are able to identify the source, try visiting the premises and speaking to the Manager. In many cases, they are not aware that there is a problem and are happy to try to resolve it. If this is not successful, you can ask us to investigate. You can do this via our ‘Online Services’ button. Be prepared to provide your own details, and information relating to the noise and how it affects you. You may be asked to keep a diary of the disturbance.
    If we judge noise from fireworks to be a statutory nuisance we can issue an abatement notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. As firework noise is short lived, in practice it can prove difficult to locate the source. To avoid noise problems with fireworks we recommend that you:
    Tell your neighbours about the display
    Locate the fireworks away from buildings that could reflect noise
    The UK Firework Review website contains the main laws, regulations and other key points you will need to be aware of when you buy and use fireworks in the UK.
    Loud Music
    Please be aware that noise from loud music can be considered a nuisance to neighbours at any time of day or night. If you are disturbed by loud music, then please speak to your neighbour in the first instance. If this does not work, then we can investigate this for you. If we receive a complaint of loud music the investigating officer will consider the following when assessing nuisance:

    The volume of music, and in particular the bass content which gives the distinctive "bass thump" in neighbouring properties. Please remember that the volume of music should decrease as the evening draws on.
    The duration of the noise - Neighbours may tolerate the playing of music, but prolonged or excessive bouts of music during the day or night is likely to be disturbing. Sleep disturbance is the most common reason for reporting parties/gatherings to us so be wary of the likely impact that this will have on your neighbours. You can report loud music via our ‘Do it Online’ button.

    Noisy Neighbours
    If you are concerned about noise coming from a neighbour’s property, a local business, vehicles or equipment in the street, often the best way to deal with the problem is to go to the source. Think about talking to the person or company responsible for the noise and explaining how their noise is affecting you. You may find that they don’t know they are disturbing you and often a friendly informal approach is enough to sort out the problem and maintain good relations.
    If you don't feel that you can approach the person or company involved we can contact them on your behalf, see our Noise Procedure for more details.
    We will ask you to keep a diary of the noisy occurrences for approximately two weeks and we may come out and listen to the noise ourselves, and contact the other party/your neighbour. We will suggest a solution or compromise to both parties if we consider the noise to be unreasonable. However, it is possible that we feel there is no justification for our involvement. In this case, we would offer advice to you, and explain the reasons for our decision.
    We cannot respond to anonymous complaints as we need to prove nuisance at the home of the people disturbed by the noise. You can report a noisy neighbour by using the ‘Do it Online’ button.
  • Pests Open or Close
    We provide advice and treatment services covering a range of domestic pests such as rats, mice, fleas and wasps. We can treat:

    Ants - £45.00
    Bed Bugs - £65.00
    Bees - £55.00
    Cockroaches - £65.00
    Fleas - £45.00
    Mice - £41.00
    Rats - £41.00
    Wasps - £45.00
    Other Insects - £45.00 (for example silverfish, carpet beetles, grain weevils, cluster flies - contact us for more details)
    Fumigation of empty properties - £65.00

    These charges relate to domestic properties. Non-residential premises are charged at £55.00 per treatment.
    We don’t treat the following:

    Foxes, rabbits, squirrels, moles, slugs, spiders, bats or birds.
    We can't treat every pest problem, but are happy to give free advice on any type of infestation and can identify most types of pest. Contact us for advice.

    Invasive Species
    Please see the information factsheet here for dealing with pests such as invasive weeds like Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam and Giant Hogweed. If you think you have Japanese Knotweed or need help in identifying it, please see our factsheet here.

    Non Native Species

    Asian Hornet

    There are several key features to look out for which will help you distinguish between Asian hornets, and our native European hornet, Vespa crabro:
    •The Asian hornet is smaller, with queens up to 30 mm, and workers up to 25 mm in length. European hornet queens can reach 35 mm
    •A key feature of Asian hornets is its almost entirely dark abdomen except for the 4th segment which is yellow. European hornets, on the other hand, have a brown and yellow striped abdomen (see below)
    •Whereas the legs of European hornets are dark, Asian hornets have bright yellow tips to their legs
    •Asian hornets are only active during the day, unlike our native hornet which is most active at night

    If you think you may have spotted an Asian hornet please either email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Pollution Open or Close
    Pollutants come in a wide range of forms, and can affect our quality of life and health.
    We carry out a wide range of duties and functions including air quality monitoring and management, dealing with neighbourhood nuisance including loud noise, obnoxious smells, dust and smoke. You can find out more information below regarding the following types of pollution: 

    We operate a monitoring programme for atmospheric pollutants using a network of equipment, and take action to make sure that problems are dealt with swiftly.
    You can find out more about air pollution and the laws that help us to take action against it on the Environment Agency website. You might also like to look at our pages about Smoke Control. 
    If you have a query about air quality, or think that someone near you is polluting the air, please contact our Clean and Green hotline (details below) or use our Online Form.

    Please see our annual status reports below:

    Asbestos could be present in any building that was built or refurbished before the year 2000. It was commonly used in the building industry in the products such as:
    Corrugated sheets for roofing and cladding
    Gutters and downpipes
    Flat sheeting for partitioning, cladding and door facings
    Flue pipes.
    Asbestos sheeting is a grey, hard, brittle material containing asbestos fibre. Older properties may have lagging that contains asbestos around any original pipework. Asbestos insulation board was commonly used in the 1960's and 1970's and looks like plasterboard, but is thinner and softer. On no account should you disturb lagging or insulation board. Removal of asbestos must always be undertaken by specialist contractors.
    Asbestos is classed as Hazardous Waste and requires a specialist contractor to collect and dispose of it. Before starting any work, you should seek advice as to how the material can be disposed of and how much it will cost.
    If you live in a council property, please see the Asbestos Advice page on the Rykneld Homes website.
    Fly Tipped Asbestos
    Because asbestos is classed as hazardous, if it is fly tipped on private property you will be advised to hire a private contractor who is licensed to remove such waste - please telephone as soon as possible.
    If you see any hazardous waste being fly tipped please report this to us as soon as possible. If the asbestos waste is in a water course or in imminent danger of polluting the water course please contact the Environment Agency.
    Industrial activity throughout the UK has left us with the legacy of old derelict sites, many with problems of residual contamination. Some of these sites are potentially hazardous to human health, watercourses or other such sensitive receptors.
    Legislation formed under Part IIa of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 was introduced in April 2000 to facilitate the identification and remediation of such sites. As part of this legislation, Local Authorities were given the responsibility of developing a strategy for inspecting their areas and identifying potentially harmful sites.
    We are responsible for identifying and keeping a register of any contaminated sites in North East Derbyshire, and our Contaminated Land Strategy sets out how we do this. We are currently reviewing the strategy and the new version will be available here when it is completed. 
    At present, we don't have a register of contaminated land sites as there are no cases where formal action has been taken in North East Derbyshire that need to be classified as contaminated.
    A guide to Submitting Applications For Land That May Be Contaminated (1.7MB) has been produced by the Derbyshire Contaminated Land Sub-Group. The Environment Agency have useful information on contaminated land.
    Please visit our main noise web page for more information.
    Parts of North East Derbyshire have been officially designated as smoke control areas, where only authorised fuels may be burned, or other fuels may be burned in exempt appliances.
    It is an offence to emit smoke from the chimney of a building in a designated smoke controlled area. It is also an offence to acquire an "unauthorised fuel" for use within a smoke controlled area unless it is in an exempt appliance.
    The attached map is an approximate guide for the the North East Derbyshire Smoke Control Areas. For exact clarification, you can also obtain further advice by contacting us on the number below

    If you have a problem with your water supply your first point of contact should be your Water Provider. This is likely to be either Severn Trent or Yorkshire Water in our District. 
    If you have a problem with a watercourse then please contact the Environment Agency.
  • Rubbish, Litter & Graffiti Open or Close
    We are responsible for the day-to-day cleansing requirements of the District and this includes the hand and mechanical sweeping of highways, pavements and public open spaces such as car parks and market squares to remove litter and detritus.

    We regularly monitor the District for areas that have been affected by graffiti. We have a zero tolerance stance on graffiti and we do everything in our powers to ensure any offenders are dealt with as quickly and sternly as possible.

    We aim to remove graffiti on Council buildings within 10 working days of it being reported to us. We aim to remove any racist, obscene or abusive graffiti within 24 hours of it being reported to us. If the graffiti is on property or business premises we will work with the occupier to influence its speedy removal. By agreement we may remove graffiti from private or business properties on a rechargeable basis.

    If you see any area that has been defaced by graffiti and wish to report it, please contact the Council. Report it via ‘Do it Online’ on this page.

    Litter and Fly Tipping

    New littering rules are now in place as of April 2018.

    For the first time, local authorities will also be able to apply penalties for littering to vehicle owners if it can be proved litter was thrown from their car – even if it was discarded by somebody else.

    So it’s up to you as a vehicle owner to ensure no one discards litter from your vehicle or YOU will receive a fixed penalty

    Litter and fly tipping is a blight on our countryside - it is unsightly, unpleasant and dangerous to the public and animals. Always place your litter in a litter bin or take it home.
    To report an issue with litter or fly tipping please use our ‘Do it Online’ service.
    Anyone dropping litter can be liable to an immediate fixed penalty notice (FPN) of £80 and if you fail to pay this within the statutory 14-days then you may be taken to court where the maximum fine can be £2,500.

    Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste on public or private land. Fly tipping is a crime that blights our communities, it's unsightly, can be hazardous and can lead to injuries both to the public and wildlife and is costly to remove. We can take legal action against householders whose waste is tipped illegally (whether they know about it or not), which can end up with a fine of up to £50,000 and/or twelve months imprisonment for those found guilty of fly tipping.
    To help us catch people who fly tip, every time we have an instance we will post a description and pictures of what has been dumped in our countryside and in your local community. If you recognise what has been dumped, be it the wall paper, tiling, the furniture etc, or you know who in the particular area has recently had work done that may have resulted in the fly tipping, then please contact us confidentially so we can catch the culprits.
    Any information that is supplied to us will be in the strictest of confidence.
  • Street Cleaning Open or Close

    We cleanse roads, footpaths, car parks and other public areas across the area to keep our district clean and healthy. We are responsible for:

    Removing of litter & detritus
    Sweeping roads and footpaths
    Removing fly tipped waste
    Removing dead animals from the highway
    Cleansing highway surface water drainage gullies
    Emptying litter and dog waste bins

    If you are concerned about the condition of a footpath, road or street, please use our ‘Do it Online’ services to report the issue.

Environment contacts

  • Tel: 01246 231111
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Go to top